Thursday, May 04, 2006

Ahem... No apologies necessary


Back in March I wrote that George W. Bush does not speak Spanish. I meant it. And I was taken to task by many commenters who not only disagreed, but felt I should apologize.

I speak fluent western Canadian English, fluent gutter Kuwaiti Arabic (a dialect of Gulf Arabic), functional CBC French and a form of German only a golden retriever would understand.

I don't speak Spanish.

Neither does George W. Bush.

How did I know then? His formation of English is terrible, that's how. I know that sounds arrogant and I suppose it may be... a little. Bush can't even construct a sentence properly in English and he struggles with vocabulary most 12 year olds have mastered.

How do I know now? Because his staff says so. Bush suggested the US National Anthem should only be sung in English and that immigrants should learn English. He was being called a hypocrite since a slew of reporters and biographers praised Bush for singing the Star Spangled Banner in Spanish.

Scott McLellan, when questioned, had this to say:

"I'm saying that not only was that suggestion absurd, but that he couldn't possibly sing the national anthem in Spanish. He's not that good with his Spanish," McClellan said.


My German is better.

No comments: