Saturday, February 24, 2007

Mrs. Mills "separation" etiquette


This could have been a touchy problem, but Mrs. Mills provided an answer which smooth things through:

I am in love with my friend and he has declared his undying love for me. He wants me to leave my husband and run away with him, but I don’t know what to do. I can’t seem to make up my mind. What is the correct etiquette for leaving one’s husband? Also, do you have any suggestions as to how I leave my job? Obviously, giving a month’s notice is not an option, as I want to cause as little scandal as possible, or preferably even none.
Of course. Minimize the scandal. Mrs. Mills shows her how:
If you are going to do it, do it in style. Give your company a month’s notice (“because I’m running off with my lover”) and give your husband a month’s notice, too. During this period, both you and your husband will continue to receive all the benefits of your respective positions while you look for work and your husband checks out available talent. Obviously, just as the company will have to let you have time off to attend interviews, so you will have to let your husband try out various replacement partners around the house. A testing time, then, for both of you, but a brighter future in prospect.
It's a particularly good column this week. Check it out at TimesOnline.

No comments: