Friday, July 13, 2007

The Hobbit's excellent vacation


As the Conrad Black verdict came in and either shocked or disappointed Black-watchers, my focus was, (after doing a spot of housework), on the reaction of Black's exceptionally good buddy, Mark Steyn.

I set my news feeds to "Steyn AND Black", made global phone calls, faxed editors and turned all television sets to US news stations.

OK... I set one news feed. The other stuff is all bullshit, but like Steyn, it adds the necessary tension to the moment.

Surely, Mark Steyn, who got his start as an arts writer (which he converted to political punditry) from Conrad Black, and who has been there reporting the Black trial with unbiased protestations of his benefactor's innocence, would be there, next to his sockless lord to either console him or rejoice with him. (Dom Perignon is appropriate for either result.)

I waited, scanned, waited, scanned and when nothing happened, I did a little search.

Jeez!! Old Lord Whatshisname has one helluva pal there.
Several of his loyal supporters have drifted off, including the conservative columnist Mark Steyn, who is now blogging on the trial from a holiday hacienda in Spain. He isn't very keen on his media collegues, remarking: "If it is bad news, I'm sorry I won't be there to support my old boss, but I'm glad I won't be around for the high-fiving of the Fleet Street lads as they stampede off to write for the first draft of history."
How very.... "conservative" of him.

And, not "very keen on media collegues"? Oh right! Steyn fancies himself a reporter. Except on those occasions when he has to get his mandatory Spanish vacation in. The story can wait.

I guess that NRO cruise was more strenuous than we could all have imagined.

No comments: