Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Improvements . . .



SOME THINGS DO get better. In a Stevie world, it's hard to believe, but just check out the video. Sure is a lot safer to see the-yoooo-esssss-ayyyyy-in-yer-shevrolay these days, in spite of the road rage and the drive-by ordnance.

Below, Dina Shore, sixty years ago. The boys were home from the Korean war, and Eisenhower was getting the Interstate highway system completed, and it was time to see the yooo-esss-ayyy, to the benefit of the nascent motor lodge industry that by the 90’s had grown and matured to the point that it was said that Howard Johnsons had put the “Ho” in “Hotel”.

2 comments:

The Mound of Sound said...

Wow, Ed. That takes me back. I think we got our first TV in 54 or 55. At the time I think we got three American networks (the majors) and that was pretty much it. My parents watched Dinah Shore and, being kids with no other diversions, so did we. I must have watched her sing this song dozens, maybe hundreds of times.

What I wouldn't give for the chance to relive a few of those Sunday nights with my parents again.

Steve said...

I made a list of how dumb we used to be.
http://thinkingaboot.blogspot.ca/2011/06/we-used-to-be-stupidboys-are-stupid.html